Greetings Wipsters! It’s the first Wednesday of the month, and that means it’s time for June’s Featured Wipster. Meeting so many creative and classy bloggers from all over the world has been one of my favourite things about W.I.P. Wednesdays. I am perpetually inspired and recharged when I see everything you’re crafting and dreaming up – thank you!
This month’s featured Wipster is bubbling over with creative energy! I’d like to introduce you to Nicole who bloggs at Frontier Dreams where she shares her knitting and sewing creations, inter-woven with adventures in mothering two of the cutest little kidlets you’ve ever seen. Feeling harried and overwhelmed by the frenzy of the 9 to 5? Pay Nicole a visit and you’ll be quickly reminded of the beauty in simplicity that is all around us. Enough of my prattle, here’s a bit about Nicole, in her own words…
My grandmother was definitely a huge inspiration for me. Almost every memory I have of her involves her creating something. I remember one year I so badly wanted to be the princess from Voltron for Halloween but there was not a costume available. I can still vividly see my grandmother watching an episode of Voltron with me sketching out the princess’ dress. She then made it from that sketch and it was PERFECT, I loved it so much. I want so badly to make those kinds of memories for my kids. I hope to have them grow up appreciating the beauty of hand made.
As far back as I can remember I have always had some kind of artistic or crafty outlet. I would go from one thing to another but always hung on to everything I learned. When I was little it was drawing and painting, as a teenager it was sewing. I also went vegan at the age of 15 so I started getting into cooking and baking.. After high school I became obsessed with photography. Then I dabbled in a little bit of everything (to many things to name). My friends would call me ‘the Vegan Martha Stewart’. But it really wasn’t until my girls were born that I really got into creating. I really owe all of my inspiration to them. I can’t fully describe it, but somehow when they were born, I feel that I was born. I had a strong need within me to create beautiful things to surround them with.
Here are Nicole’s 5 Fascinating Facts:
1. I’ve had an obsessive love of sharks ever since I was a little girl and I saw the movie Jaws. Yeah, I know that movie scared most people away from sharks but it had the opposite effect on me. We watched it while on vacation in Florida. My mom said I watched the credits to see who played Jaws and I searched for him in the ocean and pools. I have a shark tattoo on my hip and shark week is my favorite time of the year!
2. I have participated in civil disobedience during protests all over the country (USA) for various animal rights issues.
3. I would love to have a Duggar sized family (18 kids and counting). I know that desire won’t come true but I can still dream, right?
4. I secretly wish I was a pilot,(especially if I could fly those old WWII planes with pin up girls on the side-oh how I love those planes) or a professional swing dancer.
5. Since I turned 18 I have not lived in the same state for more than 4 years at a time. This was even before I met my husband (who is in the United States Air Force), I just had this need to travel and explore. I have gone from New York to Georgia to California to New York to Louisiana to Pennsylvania to South Korea to my current state of Virginia. We move again this summer to Oregon.
Thanks so much to Nicole for taking the time to hang out with us at the Fishbowl! Do you have a favourite creative blogger you’d like to see featured next month? Remember, whatever your medium, we would love to see what you’re up to.
Have you managed to get any lingering W.I.P.s finished up? Whatever your works-in-progress, have a crafty week, and don’t forget to see what the other Wipsters are up to, and to check out our W.I.P. Wednesday Flickr Pool, too.