It’s been a rather zippy few days here at the Fish residence! (That being said, it’s always speedy, just sometimes more than others…). Let’s see… to begin : Happy Birthday Mr. Fish!
Mr. Fish is one of those kids who really, I mean really has a difficult time with birthdays. I get rather excited because it means cake and presents and yummy food and people having to be extra nice to me :). He gets morose, melancholy and even down right cranky as the days tick away and his birthday approaches. I do understand. I had a much more difficult time watching the birthdays from 25 to 29 pass me by, but something sort of “clicked” when I hit 29, and I realized that dreading birthdays, or anything, really, just sort of spoiled the moments leading up to and after, but didn’t change anything, because, well, change is inevitable I guess.
To ease his birthday bitterness, I asked him what birthday treat he wanted, and he asked for the too-good-to -be-true Lemon Bars from VCon. This is the fourth time I’ve made them, and I still have no food p*rn to show you, because we just go through these things so fast it’s crazy & never have a chance to snap a pic. However, to satisfy your desire for eye-candy, here is a shot of the cupcakes I made for our 4th Wedding Anniversary, which is, or was, the day before Mr. Fish’s birthday :
This was the first time I’d made the marble cupcakes from VCTOTW, and they were really, really delicious. They were also very fun to make with the Guppy because they get a little messy at the end, and that means a lot of finger licking (we also observe the 5-second rule in our house. We’re dirty birdies.)
Next is a little Meme-love. Yoga Mum tagged anyone who’d had green tea a few mornings back. I ‘ve been swapping my morning espress for green tea in solidarity with Ricky who has been doing a cleanse. Maybe I’ll be able to knock it for good? Anyway…
Here’s the low down:
1. Post the rules of the game at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags five people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.
What were you doing five years ago?
I’d just finished my Masters Degree in French Literature, was teaching French for a US University Summer Programme in Paris, and was preparing to begin working as an English language assistant for two years at a University in Paris. I was also about to meet the future Mr. Fish.
What are five things on your to-do list for today?
1) Try to find some time to read “Millénium, Tomb 1: Les hommes qui n’aimaient pas les femmes” by Stieg Larsson. Great read.
2) The dishes (that’s just perpetual…)
3) Yoga & lifting w/free weights
4) Work a little on this bag which I am making as a messenger bag, not a diaper bag! (Thought I should clarify).
5) Write lesson plans for Wednesday’s & Thursday’s classes (last day of classes is the 23rd! Yippie!)
What are five snacks you enjoy?
1) Fresh fruit (not original, but true!)
2) Smoothies without too many seedy fruits
3) rice cakes with almond butter & molasses (an idea given me by our coolicious Ricky)
4) fresh baked cookies hot from the cooling rack
5) a homemade raw bar from the freezer all coldish, burrrr!
What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire?
Okay, this says billionaire so I could come up will way more than 5, but here’s a few…
1) Pay off my student loans & my sib’s student loans/debt & my parent’s debts
2) Buy a home with extra bedrooms & bathrooms so my family could visit and stay as long as they liked (oh, the tickets would be my treat, too!)
3) Put money aside for the Guppy & my nieces’ & nephew’s education & set up a scholarship fund for young women at my high school in the U.S.
4) Invest enough that I could live off my fundage and devote my time to creating a non-profit organization for women- not sure how I’d organize it, but it would provide grants for education, training opportunities, quality, affordable child-care, small-business loans, as well as creative and moral support for women with goals, but who need help with the logistics of their path.
5) Create a quality health-care programme for all the school-aged children in the two U.S. cities I lived in (hey, I’m a billionaire…I have enough!)
What are five of your bad habits?
1) I’m too sensitive.
2) I take everything seriously.
3) I’m terribly hard on myself.
4) I stress about things I cannot change.
5) I try to do too much at the same time.
What are five places where you have lived?
In the U.S., two:
5) near Tours
What are five jobs you’ve had?
1) Paper girl (when I was 9. Did I mention I lived on the Canadian boarder? Sub-zero temps, snow…oh, it was up hill, too! lol! )
2) Entertainment Listings Editor for an artsy weekly
3) Dance teacher
5) Research assistant
Five people I tag:
Because I share her disdain for tagging, I am shamelessly stealing this idea from Yoga Mum over at Yoga Gumbo I tag you if:
1) You had a smoothie today.
2) You’ve never made your own seitan.
3) You have more than one tattoo.
4) You wish you were taller.
5) You’d like to take a nap.
Please let me know if you do this! I know some of you kids dread these puppies, but I like learning more about you! 🙂
I have accepted your tag (4 out of 5 stipulations applied) and completed the meme… 🙂
Pingback: I don’t have more than one tattoo, but… « madcap cupcake
Thanks for sharing! I need a nap, so you’ve tagged me. You can check out my answers on my blog.
J’adore ton blog. J’ai beaucoup de plaisir a le lire. Bravo pour ton sondage!
Happy Birthday to Mr Fish!
Happy birthday to Mr. Fish and happy anniversary! I share Mr. Fish’s disdain for birthdays too. I prefer to stay in bed under the covers all day and pretend it’s not happening. Thanks for posting your meme though, it was a fun read!
Happy Birthday Mr Fish! The marbled cupcakes look delicious!.
It’s my husband’s and son’s birthday this week too. My husband was thrilled to have our son’s birthday in the same week as his. He hated birthdays before.
those cupcakes look DIVINE! and i’m sending happy vibes over for mr. fish’s birthday!
Happy Birthday Mr. Fish! Hope it’s a good one, but with cupcakes as tasty as those photographed, I don’t see how it could be anything but wonderful! 🙂
Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday Mr. Fish!
I wanted to a get a smoothie today, but I never made it down to my favorite juice bar. But what I could really use right now is one of those cupcakes!
Happy Birthday Fish!
Thanks for posting the survey and sharing all the info about you with us — I love surveys!
Lovely photo – Happy birthday wishes, belated, to Mr. Fish…and happy anniversary 🙂 We just celebrated our 4th anniversary too, about 2 weeks or so ago!…those lemon squares sound divine – I think I need to make those quick – and the cupcakes look great too. Also like that bag…I’ve been planning on making something similar for myself in a crazy bold print. The meme sounds like fun – I think I’m tagged, since 4/5 things are true for me (no tattoos, yet)? 🙂